Thursday, October 20, 2011

Beans Beans the Magical....


FRUIT!!!


Yes, I am in fact eating nothing but fruit for 3 WHOLE DAYS as part of the 40 Days to Personal Revolution program. And how is it going so far? welllll....

I'm at the middle of Day 2 and am not feeling so great. Yesterday wasn't super awesome either. About every 1-2 hours I would get really grumpy and cranky and then realize it's because I'M HUNGRY AGAIN!!! Now I have a persistent headache even though I just ate again! grrrrr.



Yesterday for breakfast I had a smoothie with mango juice, strawberries, apricot, blueberries and banana. Lunch was a smashed up avocado with tomato, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. And then I went grocery shopping. $42 worth of fruit later, I was ready to get my cooking on!

Luckily since I come from a plant background, I used to BOTANICAL definition of fruit rather than the CULINARY one! "In botany, a "fruit" is a part of a flowering plant that derives from specific tissues of the flower, mainly one or more ovaries".  


Fruit is a trickster. It is a master of disguise. Camouflage extraordinaire. MANY of the food items I've always grouped in the vegetable category are actually fruit! And here I always thought that fruit tasted juicy, sweet, and summery. Au contraire! Oh relief, maybe I won't starve after all!

For dinner and post dinner yesterday I stuffed bell peppers with beans, zucchini, and tomato, drizzled some olive oil (also a fruit!) and threw them in the oven. For evening snack I had grapes and an apple. Today for pre-breakfast I had a banana and grapes and for real-breakfast I had a smoothie. In a pan I threw together eggplant, red bell pepper, zucchini, and coconut with olive oil, cooked it and brought it to work for lunch, along with a crane melon. Tonight for dinner I will have butternut squash and probably more beans.

Apparently beans really ARE the magical fruit.

Also... notice anything different? Yep, I finally redesigned my blog! This has been something I've been planning on doing for awhile but I didn't really know how to design templates. I'm still not 100% satisfied so expect some changes in the coming days... :) And then go eat some fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment